St. Augustine's Church
St. Augustine's Congregation at Burnt Head has its origins in the early 17th century. The first Anglican priest is believed to have landed in Newfoundland in c. 1613 as part of the colonization of John Guy's Colony at Cuper's Cove', now known as Cupids. Cupids has been established as the site of the first headquarters of the Church in the Ancient Colony and the congregation of Burnt Head was part of this movement. The first Church building was erected in what is now part of St. Augustine's cemetery. The building was built during the latter part of the eighteenth century under the auspices of the Society for the Promotion of the Gospel. This building was then replaced by another which was demolished, by fire, in 1910.
The then new St. Augustine's Church was rebuilt on the site of the now existing Church. The Church was built, paid for and consecrated within a year of the start of construction. Construction started in November of 1910 and the new building was dedicated on June 18th , 1910. The official consecration took place on September 28th, 1913. The rector at the time was Reverend. George H. Field. The building was of frame construction built along traditional Gothic Architectural lines.
It should be noted that when the Church was constructed, it was located at the centre of St. Augustine's Congregation. For 50 years St. Augustine's Church at Burnt Head stood proud but the Congregation became smaller and smaller and the building itself fell into a worsening state of repair. Then, in March of' 1962, St. Augustine's Congregation rallied around the "Old Church" and reconstruction began. The chancel of the old church was removed along with the roof over the tall main portion of the nave mid the Clerestory. A new chancel with adjacent vestry and furnace room was built into eastern portion of the former nave and the whole building was covered with a new roof of gable design. The old interior wooded wall paneling and the ceiling were refinished with wallboard. Coal mid wood heaters were replaced by an oil furnace. Electric lights were installed for the first time as a donation by Miss Lizzie Rich in memory of tile la William T. and Eliza Bishop.
After four months of devoted work, most which was rendered oil a voluntary basis the restoration of St. Augustine's was completed. On Sunday, July 29, 1962 the Sixth Sunday after Trinity, the newly renovated Church was dedicated to the Glory of God by His Lordship, the Rt. Rev. J. A. Meaden, Lord Bishop of Newfoundland. The building has undergone some minor exterior since 1962. The main renovation has been the Church tower, which has been a reoccurring problem over the past 30 years. Eventually, the bell was removed from the tower and the tower itself was cut down to its present format. The new hall was added in January of 1999 and a bell tower was erected at the western end of the Church.
The new hall was built to replace the former hall located on the "front" road of Burnt Head. This hall was originally built from a house owned by Mac Butler. The old house was purchased and renovated c.1950. The "old Hall" was the center for all social activities in Burnt Head during most of its life time - dances, school concerts, C.E.A.A. meetings, band practices, take-out suppers, weddings and church meetings just to name a few.
However, the old building became a victim of time and change. It lacked running water and modern regulations put a halt to food being served. Its last role was a place for card games and those too, eventually became a part of the hall's history. The building was, for all intents and purposes, closed. The congregation simply did not have the funds for the hall's upkeep and updating to meet current standards. The hall was dismantled and much of the material was used in the construction of tile new hall adjacent to the church.